Bernards Township Election Guide 2012
Updates on all the races will be posted here throughout the day.
Here is what you need to know about Election Day 2012. Bookmark this page for updates.
- Sample Ballot: To see your sample ballot and find information about candidates, go to the County Clerk's Election website.
- Polling locations: To find polling locations, click here and go to polling locations.
- Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders: Voters will fill two three-year terms, with Republican incumbents Mark Caliguire, of Montgomery, and Patrick Scaglione, of Bridgewater, facing Democrats Anthony Pranzatelli, of Bound Brook, and Somerset resident William Galtieri. Caliguire was appointed last year to complete the term of Jack Ciattarelli, who stepped into the New Jersey Assembly seat after the death of Peter Biondi.
- 7th Congressional District: Incumbent Leonard Lance (R), who has been in office since 2009 and held off a primary charge from David Larsen, takes on Democratic challenger Upendra Chivukula.
- U.S. Senate: U.S. Senator Bob Menendez (D), the junior United States Senator from New Jersey who was first appointed in 2006 to fill Jon Corzine's seat, takes on Republican challenger Joe Kyrillos, who easily defeated three opponents in the primary.
- U.S. President: Democratic President Barack Obama faces former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) in a campaign that has focused heavily on the economy and job growth. Also on the ballot is Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson.
Breaking Down the Election
- A lower than usual turnout is expected due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy. Who might benefit if that's the case? New Jersey insiders say Romney.
- What does history say about how the Garden State and how it will vote? If the last five elections are any indication, the incumbent president will come out on top.