Hurricane Recovery Forum on Sunday
Kean, Bramnick and Munoz, and Lance to hold meeting in Bernards Township that will include representatives from FEMA and insurance.
District 21 legislative representatives, N.J. Senate Minority Leader Tom Kean Jr., Assembly Minority Leader Jon Bramnick and Assemblywoman Nancy Muñoz, will host a Hurricane Sandy Recovery Information Session for the public at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Bernards Township Library in Basking Ridge.
Representatives from FEMA and the insurance industry will be present, according to information from Bramnick's office. All are welcome to attend, from Bernards Township and other areas hit by Sandy, Bramnick said. The forum is scheduled for 3 to 4 p.m. on Nov. 18.
On Thursday, a representative for U.S. Congressman Leonard Lance (R-District 7) said he also will participate in Sunday’s forum in Bernards Township. Lance also invited officials from the U.S. Small Business Administration to attend the event so that area businesses can also learn about various disaster-related SBA programs and loans, according to his office.
Bramnick had attended a meeting of emergency personnel in Bernards Township last week, and had said he would urge power restoration as well as look ahead to future planning. For example, he suggested that a protocol be set up for allowing the removal of wires that the power company hadn't reached under emergency situations.
The types of financial assistance offered by FEMA (the Federal Emergency Management Agency) to eligible residents include:
- Temporary rental help or a stipend for hotel lodging.
- Repairs or replacement for a home or business damaged by the storm (for damage not covered by existing insurance; property owners should first contact their insurance company).
- Help with medical, dental or funeral expenses.
- Help with mental health counseling.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance —This program is designed for persons who have lost their jobs due to the storm, but who are not eligible to receive conventional unemployment insurance payments.
A complete description of FEMA assistance programs for individuals and households is available for download at the "Help After a Disaster" page at fema.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA.