Local Christmas Eve Dining Options Abound
Restaurants throughout Somerset County offer special holiday menus on the Night Before Christmas.
Restaurants throughout Somerset County are offering special Christmas Eve dinners, complete with visits from Santa Claus and Christmas carolers. Many require reservations, so start making your plans now. Here's a list of some of the area's best, in no particular order.
- If dessert is your favorite part of the meal. Maggiano's in Bridgewater is the place to be. After choosing one of the delicious plates off of the regular menu, it's time to dig into one of two holiday-inspired desserts: the peppermint ice cream chocolate crunch cake or the peppermint peripherals. If that doesn't have your mouth watering, what will? The dining room is open from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., and reservations are required.
- Perhaps the most well-known Christmas Eve destination in Somerset County is The Bernards Inn. The Bernardsville spot is offering two dining options. Both run from 4 to 8 p.m., require reservations and include a special visit from Santa Claus. A Grand Buffet will be served in the Fenwick Ballroom and will cost $65 for adults, $29 for children ages 6 to 12 and $15 for children ages 2 to 5. The slightly more expensive, three-course pre-fixed dinner is offered in the dining room. It is $95 for adults, $45 for children.
- With fireplaces throughout the historic restaurant, those dining at The Olde Mill Inn-Grain House in Basking Ridge may forget they left home—except when it comes time to clean up. The exquisite establishment will offer a buffet from 4 to 8 p.m., and features local, organic specialties when possible. There are dozens of options for vegetarians, vegans and meat lovers alike. Reservations are recommended. The buffet is $37 for adults, $19 for children ages 4 to 10 and complimentary for children ages 3 and younger.
- The Bamboo Grille at the Basking Ridge Country Club will serve a Christmas Eve buffet with 4:30, 5 , 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. seatings. The buffet will be served in the Fair Winds fine catering area. The cost is $40 for adults, $20 for children younger than 12 and complimentary for children younger than age 5.
- Pluckemin Inn in Bedminster is offering the earliest seating in the area, with reservations starting at 3:30 p.m. The last seating is at 7:30 p.m. For $65 per person, patrons have the choice of an appetizer, entrée and dessert. It is $75 for four courses, which includes a second appetizer. The vast wine selection is sure to please even the most hum-bug guests.
- The Melting Pot in Somerville is adding a course to the regular three-course dinner for Christmas Eve. Featured entrées are scallops, shrimp, salmon and the fresh fish of the day. It is $40 per guest. The last seating is at 8:30 p.m.
- The Verve in Somerville is offering holiday specials to complete the regular menu. Reservations are recommended, but not required.
- If the Watchung Hills are snow-covered this Christmas, diners at the Stone House at Stirling Ridge in Warren can expect beautiful views from this large, rustic cabin restaurant. Much of the produce used on the Stone House dishes comes straight from the restaurant's on-site farm. The regular menu will be offered.
- La Catena in Bridgewater will offer several fish specials in addition to the regular menu. Reservations are available between 4:30 and 10:30 p.m.
- Several other local favorites will be open for regular dining this year, including Water and Wine in Watchung (until 10 p.m.), Green Knoll Grille in Bridgewater (until 7 p.m.) and Pheasants Landing in Hillsborough.
However you spend the evening, have a happy and healthy one. Happy Holidays!