Mosque Hearing Back, School Survey Due This Week
Also, kindergarten registration on Thursday, and 'Jeans for Teens' collection continues.
This Tuesday is the next in a series of hearings on the Islamic Society of Basking Ridge's proposal before the Bernards Township Planning Board to continue its series of hearings on a plan to build a 4,200-square-foot mosque at 124 Church Street in Liberty Corner Village.
At the last meeting, in early January, township professionals asked that the number of parking spaces at the house of worship be increased to 110 from a proposal for 50 because they said that mosque worshippers typically arrive one or two in a car for Friday services, rather than about four for church services.
The applicant's attorney objected to a requirement he said is not mandated by the township's zoning ordinances. Bernardsville architect Dan Lincoln also presented a further description of the building, which the ISBR's witnesses have said will be consistent with the style of other homes and buildings in Liberty Corner.
The hearing is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 5 at town hall at 1 Collyer Lane in Basking Ridge.
Meanwhile, quarterly assessment tests continue on Monday and Tuesday at Ridge High School.
Other deadlines coming up this week in township schools include:
- A survey issued to parents and high school juniors and seniors asking which changes, if any, they would like to be made in future school calendars is due on Tuesday, by end of day.
- Kindergarten registrations will be held this Thursday at each of Bernards Township's elementary schools. Further details are online. Kindergarten registrations will be held at the Cedar Hill School, Liberty Corner School and at Mount Prospect School from 2 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, and at Oak Street School from 9 to 11 a.m. and from 2 to 5 p.m. Parents are asked to go during those times to the school their child would be attending, but they do not need to bring their children. Those not are not sure of the elementary school their child will attending should refer to an online districting guide. Children must turn five years old on or before October 1, 2013, to be eligible to attend kindergarten.
- Those planning to play a spring sport must submit medical paperwork to the athletics office by Monday, Feb. 4. Any paperwork received after that date will not be guaranteed to clear by March 1, the day of spring tryouts. Those who need assistance in what paperwork they need should stop by the athletics office.
- The Ridge Peer Organization is holding its annual Teens for Jeans drive now through Friday, Feb. 8. Donations of gently used jeans should be placed in the box by the Welcome Desk by the school cafeteria. The jeans will be distributed to local shelters for homeless teens.
Other meetings this week include:
- The Recreational, Parks, Pathways and Advisory Committee is scheduled to meet from 7 to 9 p.m. on Monday at the town hall at 1 Collyer Lane.
- The Board of Adjustment is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday at town hall.
- The Bernards Township Library Board is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday at the Bernards Township Library, 32 S. Maple Ave., Basking Ridge.