Relax Amid the Christmas Rush
A winter walk and some holiday music on tap this week.
It's a busy week ahead—the final few days before Christmas. With last-minute shopping, the kids home from school, wrapping, baking and decorating the tree. Take time away from the hustle and bustle with some holiday music or a walk in the woods.
Tuesday marks the Winter Solstice (commonly known as the shortest day of the year). The Environmental Education Center is celebrating this first day of Winter with a Solstice Walk as the sun goes down. With a little bit of planning, and the proper clothes, outdoor winter exercise is invigorating and a perfect stress reliever for the holiday craziness.
On Tuesday evening, holiday music will be performed by the Ridge High School Chorus at the Performing Arts Center. On Friday, join with neighbors and family at the Town Sing Along on Christmas Eve at the Village Green.
A look at the extended weather forecast indicates we may have a White Christmas. If the snow does come, don't forget about the many trails available for cross-country skiing at the Lord Stirling Environmental Center or the slopes in town for sledding.
Above all—Happiness and health to all this holiday!
- Current Issues Discussion—Bernards Township Library, 1 to 2:30 p.m. Program room A. Open to all.
- Nature Hikes for Tots—Lord Stirling Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Rd. 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. "Forever Greens" will be taught through crafts, hikes, and hands-on activities. Ages 2 to 3 with a parent. Please register in advance. $10 for the first child (includes parent fee). $5 for each additional child.
- Knitters & Crocheters—Bernards Township Library, 10 a.m. to 12 noon and 7 to 9 p.m. Bring your current project and join others in sharing tips, techniques and ideas.
- Knitting Doctor—Bernards Township Library, 1 to 3 p.m. Sammi Sherwin, Craft Yarn Council of America Certified Knitting Instructor, will be available in the library by appointment for free one-on-one help with knitting problems. Registration is required. Conference room.
- Winter Solstice Walk—Lord Stirling Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Rd. 4 to 5:30 p.m. A naturalist will accompany family and friends for a walk through the Great Swamp. Animal activity will be sought on the shortest day of the year. Register in advance. Open to all. $8 per person.
- Ridge High School Choral Concert—Ridge High Performing Arts Center, 7 p.m.
- Planning Board Regular Meeting—Bernards Township Town Hall, Court Room, 7:30 p.m.
- Holiday Senior Programs—Senior Wellness Center, starting at 10:45 a.m. Trivia games and crafts. Open to Somerset County seniors. Lunch at 11 a.m., but register in advance.
- Public Schools Close—Holiday break begins.
- Annual Holiday Sing—Village Green, Basking Ridge, 7 to 7:30 p.m.
- Merry Christmas!
Sunday, Dec. 26
- Nature Walks—Environmental Education Center, noon to 1 p.m. All ages. Children should be accompanied by an adult. No registration required. Free.
- Garden State Children's Book Awards—Bernards Township Library. Stop by the Children's Library and vote for your favorite book nominated in these categories: Fiction, Non-fiction, Easy Reader, and Easy Reader Series. Voting concludes at the end of the month.