RHS Holiday Concert at Bishop Janes Church on Tap
Ridge High A Cappella Choir to perform this week.
Holiday music surrounds us. It may be playing on the car radio or piped through the shopping mall; it is there is the background reminding us of years gone by. Attending a live holiday concert, however, is a whole other experience, and an uplifting one at that.
That is why my vote for this week's favorite "holiday happening" is the Ridge High School A Cappella Choir Concert at Bishop Janes United Methodist Church on Tuesday evening.
Hosted by the United Methodist Women, this has become a favorite annual event where the entire community is invited to enjoy the talented teens of Ridge High perform holiday songs. The concert will be held in the church Sanctuary at 7:30 p.m., with refreshments to follow.
A quick reminder of another local annual tradition—The Visiting Nurse Association will host its Cookie Walk on Saturday at 9 a.m. Hundreds of fresh, delicious cookies will be available, baked by volunteers. The proceeds benefit the VNA Adult Center, but better yet, buyers get great cookies without having to mess up their kitchens.
Along with the traditions, there is a special one-time event this week: The re-enactment of the British arrest of American General Charles Lee at Widow White's Tavern. Why wasn't he with the rest of his army?
The presentation by the Trilogy Repertory Theater begins at 2 p.m. on Sunday at Astor Field.
- Current Issues Discussion—Bernards Township Library, 1 to 2:30 p.m. Program room A. Open to all.
- Recreation Parks and Pathway Advisory Committee—Bernards Township Town Hall, Conference room, 7 p.m.
- Knitters & Crocheters—Bernards Township Library, 10 a.m. to noon. Bring your current project and join others in sharing tips, techniques and ideas.
- Knitting Doctor—Bernards Township Library,1 to 3 p.m. Sammi Sherwin, Craft Yarn Council of America Certified Knitting Instructor, will be available in the library by appointment for free one-on-one help with knitting problems. Registration is required. Conference room.
- Ridge High A Cappella Choir Concert—Bishop Janes United Methodist Church, 22 S. Finley Ave., 7:30 p.m. Free, open to all, refreshments will follow.
- Poetry Writing Workshop Series—Bernards Township Library, 1 to 2:15 p.m. Program room B.
- Evening Book Discussion—Bernards Township Library, 7:30 to 9 p.m. The book for December is Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. Program room A.
- Planning Board Regular Meeting—Bernards Township Town Hall, Court Room, 7:30 p.m.
- Music to Move By Ages 3 & under—Bernards Township Library, 10 to 10:45 a.m. and 11 to 11:45 a.m. Children ages 3 and under with an adult can join Ann Wild for an interactive musical program. Program room B.
- Teen Advisory Board—Bernards Township Library, 7 to 8 p.m. Help plan upcoming teen programs and recommend purchases for the library. Program room A.
- Baby Time—Bernards Township Library, 9:30 to 10 a.m. Program room A. Infants 0 through 15 months. Songs, rhymes and stories. No registration required. Siblings are welcome too.
- Deer Management Advisory Committee Monthly Meeting—Bernards Township Town Hall, Conference Room, 7 p.m.
- Board of Health Meeting—262 S. Finley Avenue, 8 p.m.
- O Christmas Tree!—Christmas Tree sales continue at Bishop Janes United Methodist Church, 22 S. Finley Ave. Take a chance to look at the giant Christmas tree in downtown Basking Ridge.
- VNA Annual Cookie Walk—Visiting Nurse Association, 200 Mt Airy Rd., 9 a.m. Purchase home baked holiday cookies, crafts and gift items. The proceeds go to support programs at the Adult Day Center. VNA nurses will be on hand to offer flu shots for those 18 and older. Shots are free to Medicare Part B recipients and $25 for others.
- Writers' Workshop—Somerset Hills YMCA, 9 a.m. to noon. Heart-Write Cafe. Let the inner author in you create. Open to members and nonmembers, $60. Advance registration required.
- Holiday Concert with Junior Jam—Bernards Township Library. 11 to 11:45 a.m. Award winning musicians Junior Jam will be here for our Holiday Concert, sponsored by the Friends of the Library. The entire family will enjoy this performance with creative props, fun activities, and sign language. No registration required. Program rooms.
- Holiday Drop in Craft for all Ages—Bernards Township Library, noon to 2 p.m. Holiday crafts for the whole family to make and take home. No registration required
- Dog Walks on the Equestrian Trails±Lord Stirling Stable
- 10:15 to 10:30 a.m. sign-in. Walk is from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. $3 per dog, humans free.
Sunday, Dec. 12
- 250th Anniversary Event; Reenactment of Arrest by the British of American General Charles Lee at Widow White's Tavern—Astor Field behind the Bernards Township municipal building, presented by the Trilogy Repertory Theater, 2 p.m. More information on the history of this event is is online at the Historical Society of the Somerset Hills website.
- Jingle Bell Trail Ride—Lord Stirling Stable, 11 a.m. to noon. Register in advance. Fee: $28 Somerset County resident/$36 non-resident.
- Nature Walks - Environmental Education Center, noon to 1 p.m. All ages. Children should be accompanied by an adult. No registration required. Free.
Garden State Children's Book Awards—Bernards Township Library. Stop by the Children's Library and vote for your favorite book nominated in these categories: Fiction, Non-fiction, Easy Reader, and Easy Reader Series.