School Board, Township Committee to Meet; International Festival Next Weekend
Some scheduled meetings and events for the upcoming week in Basking Ridge.
It's fair to say that most locals were really proud of Ridge High School graduate Tobin Heath, who had played on the school's girls soccer team, when she was part of the U.S. womens soccer team which won an Olympic gold medal this summer.
Whether it was her glasses or her moves on the soccer field, Heath — who in the past told Patch she had started playing soccer at the Somerset Hills YMCA — was definitely the talk of the town.
And this Tuesday, the Township Committee is due to commend Heath in an official proclamation at its regular meeting.
The governing body also is due to recognize the local Hope Autism Foundation and to commend resident Zachariah Adam Montero on attaining his Eagle Scout designation.
The meeting is scheduled for 8 p.m. on Oct. 9 at the municipal building at 1 Collyer Lane in downtown Basking Ridge.
Other meetings and events coming up this week:
- On Monday, the Bernards Board of Education is scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. at the William Annin Middle School.
- On Monday, the Bernards Township Environmental Commission is scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. at the municipal building at 1 Collyer Lane.
- On Wednesday, the Bernards Township Health Department is scheduled to give out this year's flu vaccine to children over 4 through adults between 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at St. James Roman Catholic Church at 184 S. Finley Ave. The cost is $20 for those living in member towns, and $30 for those who are non-residents. The vaccine is free to those who have Medicaire Part B. For further information, call 908-204-2520 or contact Deirdre Vogel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On Wednesday, the Bernards Township Shade Tree Commission is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. at the municipal building at 1 Collyer Lane.
- On Thursday, Back-to-School night is scheduled to be held at 7 p.m. for grades 7 and 8 at the William Annin Middle School, 70 Quincy Road.
- On Thursday, the Board of Health is scheduled to meet at 8 p.m. at the Health Department building at 262 S. Finley Ave.
- On Sunday, the Somerset Hills YMCA is scheduled to hold its annual International Festival from 1 to 4 p.m. at its main facility at 140 Mount Airy Road in Basking Ridge. The event, drawing in many volunteers from the community, will feature different cultures' music, dance, art, including pottery, and best of all, samples of international cuisine.