Sometimes there's just not enough time in the day, but each week, Patch will give you an idea of something to do to relax, spend time with family and just take some time for yourself.
In less than two weeks, we will celebrate a special man in our lives—our fathers, and/or our childrens' fathers.
And so in honor of that special Dad, we present a list of some great ideas for Father’s Day.
- It’s Father’s Day at the ballpark June 17, as the Somerset Patriots host a Fathers and Kids Catch on the field before the game at 1:05 p.m., and the first 1,000 men in attendance will receive a BBQ apron.
- The United States Golf Association Museum at 77 Liberty Corner Road in the Far Hills section of Bernards Township, has a collection of golf memorabilia and information about the game that would appeal to any golfer, both casual and dedicated. A small but interesting gift shop is located in the historic mansion on the property's rolling acres. The Pynes Putting Course, inspired by the world-renowned Himalayas putting course in St. Andrews, Scotland, is a 16,000 square-foot green located on the lawn immediately behind the Museum.
The USGA Museum also announces the launch of Blue Star Museums, a partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, and more than 1,500 museums across America to offer free admission to all active-duty military personnal and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day 2012. The free admission program is available to any military ID holder (including active duty Reserve and active duty National Guard) and five immediate family members are eligible to participate. Separate fees apply to the Pynes Putting Course.
- The Friends of Lord Stirling Stable will host their annual Father’s Day Ride on the scenic trails of Somerset County's Lord Stirling Stable, at 256 S. Maple Ave. in Basking Ridge. The ride will take place at 11 a.m. on Sunday, with check-in at 10:30 a.m.. Rides may be added and times adjusted to accommodate additional registrants. This event is suitable for those with little or no riding experience, or a more experienced group who want to join a walk, trot and canter ride. Adult riders, their families, and friends are invited. Children not currently enrolled in a class at Lord Stirling Stable must be at least 12 years old. Riders must not exceed 200 pounds. Mail-in registration forms are available through the Stable office and on the Friends web site at www.flssnj.org. The fee is $25 per rider for Friends of Lord Stirling Stable members and $30 for non-members. Forms and payment must be received by Monday, June 11.
- Head over to Chimney Rock Road in Bridgewater for the Hoop Heaven Father’s Day Tournament on June 17. The tournament will include father and son, and father and daughter, 2-on-2 basketball tournaments in all different divisions and levels. Trophies will be given to all champions. Registration is required by June 11. For more information, head to hoopheaven.com.
- The Hills Highlands Clubhouse, on Hansom Road in Basking Ridge, is hosting a Kids Triathlon June 17 for children ages 6 through 12. The triathlon, which will cost $20 each for participants, will include a 25- to 100-yard pool swim; half- to 2-mile bike ride; and two-thirds- to one-and-one-third-mile run. For more information, and to register, visit paramountadventure.org. UPDATE: As of Thursday afternoon, the Triathlon was reportedly almost full.
- Applebee’s is having a feast for a king from June 10 through June 17 with an affordable Father’s Day feast that includes a half rack of ribs, chicken and a 4-oz. Sirloin steak, all for $18.99.
- Take a walk or cook a meal together!
- Celebrate Dad at the Bridgewater Commons Mall with a special Father’s Day event Saturday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., as shoppers will be treated to an afternoon of retailer offers, demonstrations, giveaways and more. The event will include a demonstration by Williams Sonoma, samples from Auntie Anne’s, practice on a putting green from Branchburg Family Golf and more. Shoppers will also receive free gifts. For more information, visit bridgewatercommons.com.
Let Patch save you time. Get local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone each day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast, sign-up here.