Three Local Candidates Already in Race, Twp. Committee Meets This Week
Also, Monday is the deadline for the Ridge Alumni Memorial Scholarship, based on character, for graduating senior.
Bernards Township Democrats already have chosen a candidate to represent that party in the upcoming primary election — David Ferdinand, who also ran last year and heads up the Bernards Democratic Committee.
Township Republicans already have two candidates who have declared their campaigns for the one seat that will be up for election this November — Carol Bianchi and Kevin Orr, both members of the Bernards Township Planning Board.
John Bayeux, chairman of the Bernards Township Republican Committee, said that the local Republican organization plans to issue a call-out this week for any other candidates who wish to seek the Republican committee's endorsement for this June's primary election.
One person who won't be on the ballot this year is Republican Township Committeeman Scott Spitzer, who announced earlier this year that he will not seek re-election for another term.
Otherwise, Bayeux said, the township Republican Committee generally endorses the incumbent candidate. At this point, all five members of the Township Committee are Republicans.
Bayeux said that he will release more information this week about the process for seeking the local Republican party's endorsement.
Bayeux said the endorsement screening will be held this year at 7 p.m. on March 18 at the Liberty Corner Firehouse.
He said the screening — which also is expected to be attended by this year's Republican Somerset County candidates and state Assemblyman Jon Bramnick (R-District 21) — is open to the public.
However, he said that following the screening, the committee will deliberate privately. The committee can endorse one candidate, or none, he said.
Bayeux said additional details will be issued this week about how candidates can apply for the local Republican committee's endorsement.
Other upcoming deadlines and meetings this week:
- Deadline is Monday for The Ridge Alumni Memorial Scholarship, an $8,500 award for a graduating senior. The award is based on character, determination and non-traditional achievements rather than grades or test scores and may be used for multiple purposes. For more information, log onto Naviance at Ridge High School or go on the Ridge AMS website.
- The Bernards Township pool commission is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. on Monday at the municipal building at 1 Collyer Lane in Basking Ridge.
- The Bernards Beautification Task Force is scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. on Monday in the small conference room at the municipal building at 1 Collyer Lane.
- The Bernards Township Committee is scheduled to meet at 8 p.m. on Tuesday in the main meeting room at the municipal building at 1 Collyer Lane.
- The Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday at the Bernards Township Library, 32 S. Maple Ave., Basking Ridge.
- The Bernards Township Planning Board is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday at the muncipal building at 1 Collyer Lane. Neither the Millington Quarry nor the proposed mosque in Liberty Corner are on the agenda — at this regular monthly meeting, the board is scheduled to address an application for four lots at 240 Mountain Road — and also to discuss Planning Board rules and regulations.