Even as Christmas approaches, Hanukkah is wrapped up and holiday parties are all around, there is still plenty to do at meetings where officials are trying to finish up the year's business for 2010.
But don't forget to stop and enjoy the holiday splendor and spirit around us at this time of the year. Frost Fest continues at the Environmental Education Center at 190 Lord Stirling Road, with plenty of activities for all ages. For more details, go online to the Somerset County Park Commission's website. The following includes just a few of the activities this week at the EEC.
Monday, Dec. 13
- Environmental Commission —Bernards Township Municipal Building, 1 Collyer Lane, 7:30 p.m., first floor conference room.
- Hibernation Migration—Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Road, 4 to 5:30 p.m., ages 4 to 6. Children join a naturalist to learn which animals hang around for winter, which leave town and which hibernate. Register online or call 908-766-2489.
Tuesday, Dec. 14
- Crop Club (scrapbooking) —Bernards Township Library, 32 S. Maple Ave., 10 a.m. to noon. Crop club workshop with Jackie Taylor, Creative Memories consultant, and Jackie Barber, library employee.
- Bernards Township Sewerage —Bernards Township Municipal Building, 1 Collyer Lane, 6:30 p.m.
- Bernards Township Committee — Bernards Township Municipal Building, 1 Collyer Lane, 8 p.m. public portion of the meeting.
Wednesday, Dec. 15
- Daytime Book Discussion—Bernards Township Library, 32 S. Maple Ave., 10 to 11 am.
- PC Tutoring—Bernards Township Library, 32 S. Maple Ave., 7 to 8 p.m. To sign up, call 908-204-3031, ext 3, or email email@example.com and specifiy what you want to learn,
- Shade Tree Commission Meeting — Bernards Township Municipal Building, 1 Collyer Lane. 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 16
- Reindeer Games —Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Road. 4 to 5:30 p.m. for children 7 to 9. Look at the life cycle and habitat of a reindeer and create decorations with a reindeer theme. Fee, $9. Register and pay in advance online or call 908-766-2489.
- Film: "A Child's Christmas in Wales"—Bernards Township Library, 32 S. Maple Ave. 7:30 -8:45 p.m. Adaptation of Dylan Thomas's lyrical ode to winter and the holidays. Please bring one-half dozen favorite cookies. Punch will be provided.
Friday, Dec. 17
- Drop- In Story Time —Bernards Township Library, 32 S. Maple Ave., 10 -10:30 a.m. For ages 2 1/2 to 5. No registration required. Share stories songs and fun at the library.
Saturday, Dec. 18
- Christmas Bird Count—Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Road, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. for adults. Learn basic birding techniquest while collecting data for the EEC and New Jersey Audubon Society. Fee is $10 cash for New Jersey Audubon. Register online or call 908-766-2489.
- Dog Walks on the Equestrian Trails — Lord Stirling Stable, 10:15 to 10:30 a.m. sign-in. Walk is from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. $3 per dog, humans free.
Sunday, Dec. 12
- 37th Annual Creche Service — St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 140 S. Finley Ave. 10 a.m., open to all. Please bring a warm item of clothing for a child in need to the service or drop off this week at the church office.
- O Christmas Tree! – Christmas Tree sales continue at Bishop Janes United Methodist Church, 22 S. Finley Ave. Take a chance to look at the giant Christmas tree in downtown Basking Ridge.
- Frost Fest — Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Road. Winter events through December. Information online.
A look at upcoming events in Bernards Township.